Every year, the Washington environmental community identifies legislative priorities and rallies grassroot support for them during the legislative session. In 2008, the Environmental Priorities Coalition successfully passed all four environmental priorities. It was accomplished through dedicated citizens who are passionate about the environment. In 2009, over 500 citizen advocates descended upon the capitol.
This year, join the state’s leading conservation groups and hundreds of citizen lobbyists to push for the passage of the Environmental Priorities Coalition’s 2010 Legislative Priorities:
- The Working for Clean Water bill is about creating jobs, rebuilding our local economies, and cleaning up polluted waterways like Puget Sound and Spokane River.
- Safe Baby Bottles to protect children’s health and the environment by phasing out the harmful chemical bisphenol A (BPA) from baby bottles, food and beverage cans, and other consumer products.
- Budget for our Environment to ensure adequate funding for the core environmental protections that make Washington State a healthy place to live.
Our goal for 2010 is 600 citizen advocates and the passage of these three priorities. However, in order to be successful, we need your participation on January 26th, so legislators will hear from their constituents and those they are elected to represent. For details, visit Environmental Priorities Coalition.
During Lobby Day, you will:
- Learn about the issues: Get briefed by experts on all three priorities.
- Attend lobbying trainings: Learn the tricks of the trade from top environmental lobbyists.
- Meet face-to-face with your legislators: Practice the power of persuasion.
- Attend an important committee hearing on the Capitol campus.
- Eat well, with a continental breakfast and catered lunch.
- Celebrate the day with food and drink at our post-event reception!
Register now at http://www.pugetsound.org/forms/lobbyday. There is bus transportation from the following cities ($15):
- Bellingham 5:45 am
- Mount Vernon 6:30 am
- Everett 7:15 am
- Bellevue TBD
- Seattle 7:45 am
- Port Townsend 6:00 am
- Bremerton 7:15 am
- Tacoma ($10) 8:15 am
The staging area in Olympia is the United Churches of Olympia, 110 East 11th Ave.