Don’t miss the West Seattle Barter Fair

Money Free Shopping Spree photo courtesy WestSeattleBlog

Join us for a fun and unique “money free shopping spree” geared toward the holiday shopping season on ‘Green Saturday’, the day after “Black Friday”. We’ll be enjoying a potluck at the same time, so bring a gift to share!

This unique event will be held in an equally unique setting — The Lodge at Camp Long ( 5200 35th Ave SW Seattle, WA 98126). The object of the Barter Fair is to promote more meaningful gifting of products through exchanging services, or items made from raw materials

The “Money Free Shopping Spree” is gift trading. Categories include: Services, Art Crafts, Home Crafts, Food Crafts and Salvaged/Refurbished Items.

If you’re planning to bring an item for bartering, please share what that will be in the comments.

[mappress mapid=”440″]

24 replies
  1. Yesenia Hunter
    Yesenia Hunter says:

How about some music? Our family plays in a community group (Seattle Fandango Project) not sure how many members might be around that day but we could check and see. For us music is not a commodity but something to be experienced! Let me know if you might be interested. The music is in the style of son jarocho from Veracruz Mexico.

2. Wren
    Wren says:

I think this is a fabulous idea. I love bartering – it so community oriented.

How does this work, do we just post what we want to barter in comments? what if is is art? Do we just bring stuff and come as we are so to speak. Are you looking for volunteers to help with prep? I might have some time.

thanks. wren

• Stu
      Stu says:

In the past we have asked folks to post what they had to offer to generate interest. I would request also to talk about this with your freinds and help get the word out. Our goal is to have an annual bater fair here in West Seattle.

3. Kimberly Leeper
    Kimberly Leeper says:

I can bring native plants, especially edible ones! I also want to bring seeds for edible plants…should talk with Brian Allen as we want to get an organized seed set up to bring to each SWS meeting for seed exchanges!

4. Diana Sheppard
    Diana Sheppard says:

I would like to bring cloth napkins, vintage style aprons, faux fur hats and tails, scarves and perhaps some of my one of a kind handbags. I can also trade for sewing. I would love to trade for many things and perhaps; ukelele lessons, and /or handy man services. Do I need to register somewhere?

5. christina
    christina says:

No need to register for the event. I’ll be bringing canned goods and offering to bring you a load of composted horse manure.

6. Lisa
    Lisa says:

I just found out about this and I’d like to participate. I have a mat cutter in box (sans blade), art prints (unframed)some other stuff. Do we bring a little card table or something? I’ve never been to anything like this so I don’t know how this works. Just show up?

7. Wren
    Wren says:

I think this is a fabulous idea. I love to barter and trade. Now I have to figure out what Ii can bring. I have some cards, maybe some photographs. It sounds like a great way to meet like minded people.

I just adopted a new dog and we are getting acquainted. I don’t want to leave him alone for too long, I don’t suppose dogs are allowed are they? (small and well behaved)

8. Danitra
    Danitra says:

I am a henna artist and would love to barter for henna body art my henna is all natural. I am also an artist and can do names while people wait is that something that would suit this fair, I use recycled materials for my crafts

9. Wren
    Wren says:

This really sounds like great fun. It looks like it over laps with a crafts show at Long Camp or have I got my dates confused.

I’ve been thinking of what I can contribute. I’m a mixed media artist and a librarian. I have some handmade cards and a few pieces of art, perhaps some photographs. I could make someone a custom shadow box. I have some odds and ends jewelry and artsy stuff to trade as well. Plus I’m good at research so if anyone needs any research done.

In return I’m interested in things like trading art, a little help around the house (organizing, simple handy work), a little doggy day care and who knows what else I am open.

10. Wren
    Wren says:

Just thought of something else I’d love to trade for. If anyone is into “altering” doing new things with clothes – I have a long velourish dress I’d like made into a long vest.
    Also I am looking for someone who makes simple plain muslim dolls and smallish clay faces to trade with.

11. Stephanie
    Stephanie says:

I roast coffee at home! I’d love to share. I also have some of my photography from Italy framed to share. Such a great idea!

12. Wren
    Wren says:

I am still a bit puzzled as to how this will work. We just show up with our stuff and there will be tables? Did I see something about food? Also it appears from something I saw earlier in the week, that we don’t need to register – we just come? Wren

13. Alise
    Alise says:

I am so excited! I make felt play food for kids like sushi, veggies and cupcakes. I will bring several sets of each. I can also make upcycled yoga pants for babies and toddlers.

I can’t wait!

14. Joanne Hedou
    Joanne Hedou says:

I might stop by. I’ll bring pictures of a laquer top folding table 24″ x 44″ and an older around town bicycle. They are too heavy for me to lift but if there is stuff I want and anyone is interested….

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!