Moving Planet Seattle is hosting a rally and awareness event Saturday, September 24 at Lake Union Park, 860 Terry Ave N, Seattle.
Moving Planet Seattle is a community gathering to demonstrate our call for clean energy and transportation solutions for the 21st century. Thousands of citizens are expected to turn out to show our decision makers that the time has come to move beyond fossil fuels. Join us!
The day’s events are:
- 9:00 am – 1:00 pm: Join the parade of boats and bikes, feet and wheels, pedaling, rowing, sailing, walking, dancing and skating all around Lake Union. End at Lake Union Park at 1:00 pm.
- 2:00 – 3:00 pm: Come jam to music starting at 1 pm and rally for a sustainable future at 2:00 pm. Show your support for moving beyond fossil fuels while enjoying inspirational speakers, community information booths and a crowd photo for 350.org.
- 4:30 – 6:00 pm (at Plymouth United Church of Christ, 1217 6th Ave, Seattle): Be inspired by recipients of the David Brower Youth Award given to outstanding young adults who are working on environmental justice issues in their home communities.
Some of the kid-friendly opportunities include:p
- lay with mini-yacht flotilla in the pond,
- play in the spray park,
- SDOT is providing their Summer Streets hula hoops, ball toss and other toys,
- watch Skate Like a Girl and Stand-Up Paddleboards,
- get an Undrivers License.
Check out the Family Bike Expo where you can try out different bike hauling options. Kids and adults can participate in the 1-2 p.m. People Powered Parade around the park on their bike, stroller, skates, wheelchair, stilts, unicycle, jumprope, or feet and of course all can be part of the giant aerial 350 photo at 3:30.
Bring: sunscreen, refillable water bottle, snacks for your kiddos, a towel (spray park), and your very own personal climate banner.
Get to South Lake Union in a fun way: Water taxi, Streetcar, Pedicab, Bike (with Cascade Ride from West Seattle), pogo stick, jump rope.
CoolMom will be tabling at the event as will Sustainable West Seattle, please contact Terri at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer. Shifts are 11:30 to 1:30 and 1:30 to 3:30.
For more information on Moving Planet contact Jessie Dye at email@example.com or 206-632-2426.