Once a source of livelihood for native people, the river later became a dumping ground for toxic waste and a source of pollution for Puget Sound.
Now local activists are joining with local companies and governments to face up to the incredibly difficult task of cleaning up this river.
Sustainable West Seattle’s monthly Community Forum will feature several of the key individuals involved in this effort who will describe what’s being done and what help is still needed.
Our panel will include:
- Rob Holland Port of Seattle Commissioner
- BJ Cummings of the Duwamish River Cleanup Coalition
- Heather Trim from People for Puget Sound
- Cecile Hansen chair of the Duwamish Tribe
- Genevieve Aguilar from Puget Sound Sage
- Lori Cohen from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Bob Warren from the Washington State Ecology Department
This event will be at Camp Long, 5200 35th Avenue SW, 7-9 p.m.